Monday, July 19, 2010

Green is as Green Does

"Stupid is as stupid does" indicates stupidity is demonstrated by the actions of the one, therefore I feel inspired by “green is as green does”.

What is green? Green has been used to describe everything from the colour of the grass to a way to describe illness. Green has had lots of symbolic meanings, most commonly associated with nature, hope and growth. More recently green has been used to describe environmental protection and social justice, this is the green I am referring to.

I have been following a path which through my learning has lead me to think and live a greener life; and it seems I am not alone. Green has become fashionable, people like to be seen as green, business's are capitalising on green products, it could be said that even countries like our own do the same thing..like to be seen as green.

For a while I became concerned about this aspect of "being seen to be green" as opposed to actually being green. I came to the point of view that no matter what the motivation, what the outcome, what measure of green we are it all creates a greater awareness, and furthers social acceptance for greener practices, and is ultimately moving towards a greener future.

We can spend a lot of time focusing on what shade of green we are but what "green is as green does" reminds us is that being green is demonstrated by our own actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment